My Daily Writing: September 29th, 2015

/
1 Comments
Stereotypes can sometimes be mean and offensive. However, often they can be true or are an exaggerated form of the truth. I decided that I would like to make a list and explain some different stereotypes of my race, Asian, more specifically Chinese, that apply to me. The ones that are to an extent "true". Even though I was adopted as a baby by an American couple, I still have the Chinese culture ingrained in me, because of living in China for more than half my life after being adopted. I do realize that not all of these stereotypes apply to every Asian. These are just a few stereotypes that apply towards me personally.

Chinese are bad drivers. This is the first stereotype that comes to mind. I always thought that this was a ridiculous stereotype and could not possible be true. After taking my test to get my permit, I started test driving in the country with my parents. A couple of weeks after I got my permit I made a huge mistake of pressing the gas pedal instead of the brake. I was right in front of the wooden entryway to my Uncle's old house. Luckily, I didn't hit anything. I have to say that scared the living daylights out of me. I kept thinking to myself, what if I had done that in the city? From then on, I was scared of driving. I have feeling when I move back to America I will get over it, at least I hope so.

Chinese are good at math. This stereotype is very common. I do have to admit that I am substantially good at math, well at least I used to be. It's been a few months since I took a math class. Though I am far from being a genius, math has always been one of my favorite subjects. However, I have living proof that not all Chinese are good at math, take my sister for example. Math has never been her strong suit, but hey, she still manged to pass her classes.

Chinese have small eyes. This stereotype for the most part is true. Most Chinese I know have thinner eyes. My eyes are a little rounder than your average Chinese, but they are still small compared to your average Caucasian person.


You may also like

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting and informing. Thank you. ~Ms .A.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Like us on Facebook

Popular Posts